Tuesday 4 March 2014

Pique: Run for Barca president? I’m too easily recognised

Pique


Barcelona centre-back, Gerard Pique recently took on journalists to give his perspective on how the criticisms of the press affect the players and insists that his personal life, which has been tabloid fodder, has no effect on his performance on the pitch.
In Monday evening’s event, ‘Footballers vs. Journalists’, Pique spoke about the enormous pressures of playing for on of the biggest clubs in the world but also the criticisms they receive, which at times, can be overwhelming.
“To be recognised, to work in front of so many people…gives us the feeling that we want to isolate ourselves.  A protective barrier where no one can hurt us.  The criticisms are very hard.  When you win, everything is great, but when you lose, everything is too cruel.  When a journalist writes something harsh, would he say it to their face?
“Imagine that you work in front of 90,000 people.  Do you really think a player goes out and doesn’t try to do his best? Against Valencia, it wasn’t that we didn’t want to run.  The match was complicated and mentally we weren’t superior to our opponent.  I’m always hungry.  We live for this, we live to be footballers.
“I think we are still playing at a top level, if you look at the stats, we’ve scored the most goals in La Liga and conceded the fewest.”
Pique then explained some of the comments from his press conferences and admits that we must exercise caution.
“Many times I think I’m going to stick to certain topics, but by the second question my mouth gets the best of me and I say a headline.  Little is discussed about football, about the referees, yes, whether they saw something or not, very little about football.”
Pique went on to add that he wished he’d enjoyed the 2-6 El Clasico win over Real Madrid.
“I would’ve liked more time to enjoy the 2-6 El Clasico.  It was crazy, everything happened so fast, I’ didn’t have time to digest it.”
Pique concluded by discussing a potential run for the president after his playing days, which he remains coy, but discussed the life of a Catalan.
“I can’t imagine running for president, I’m easily recognised.
“The slogan ‘more than a club’ does good and harm.  The members can do whatever they want, but we throw a lot of stones in our own glass house.”

No comments:

Post a Comment