Tuesday 4 March 2014

Casillas: I hope to be playing at Real Madrid when I’m in my 40′s

Iker Casillas








Real Madrid goalkeeper, Iker Casillas, despite being limited to Champions League and Copa del Rey play, has given the first indications that he has no desire to leave the club any time soon and hopes to keep playing at Real Madrid until he’s 40 years of age.

In a recent interview with Melodía FM’s ‘Lo mejor que te puede pasar’ programme, Casillas insisted that his main desire was to remain with Real Madrid and continue winning titles.
“I’d like to keep winning more titles, it’s wonderful to have the opportunity to win more titles and go out onto the streets to celebrate with the fans.  It’s a priviledge.  Every time you think more about what you’re going to do after football.  I’d like to still remain connected to the world of football, help my club if given the opportunity…
“You try to fight and scrap to aspire to want more.  I’m very ambitious and I always want to play and always have respect for my teammates.”
Casillas refused to admit that his goalkeeping came down to luck, although did admit that things did fall into place quite nicely in the beginning.
“People say I’m lucky, but I think that only tells a little bit of the story.  I remeber when I made my debut against Athletic, things didn’t go well and I got sent back down to the B team, then Illgner got injured and I went back up to the first team.  Something special happened at the World Cup in Korea and Japan. It’s true that there are moments which you never think will happen…then they do.  I never want anything to happen to a teammate, but I jumped at the opportunity.
“Now I hope to play against Italy.  Being on the national team is very important to me and I’m grateful for the coach’s confidence in me.”
Casillas went on to discuss his own fight for the starting role at Real Madrid and insists that despite not being first choice for La Liga, wants to play for Los Blancos until he’s 40.
“I can play into my 40′s.  If a goalkeeper is careful, he can play up to that age.  Right now, a goalkeeper, if he’s careful, can play into his 40′s and I hope I can play into my 40′s at Real Madrid, but there’ll be a moment when that’s not possible.  At the end of my contract, I’ll decided if I stay or leave Real Madrid.”
Casillas concluded by stating the favourite stop of his career.
“The stop on Perotti in the 2002 Champions League final and the stop on Robeen in the World Cup final in South Africa, I remember all of them.”

No comments:

Post a Comment