Thursday 27 February 2014

Abidal: My dream is to return to Barça

Abidf


Former Barcelona and current AS Monaco defender, Eric Abidal recently spoke about his time in Catalunya, his best memory with the Blaugrana shirt and the details behind his rather cold dismissal from the club.
In an interview with Barcelona-based radio station, Rac1′s ‘Primer Toc’ programme, Abidal spoke about his health and thanked former teammate, Dani Alves for honouring him by trading in his ’2′ shirt for Abidal’s ’22′, which he will do when he attends the game in person this Sunday.
“I’m in good health.  I undergo analysis every month and every time they touch me, I’m afraid I’ll go back to how I was.  I’m enjoying my life now more than ever before.  I’m proud to be an example for people.  My recovery has been easier with all of your support.  I hope that I’ll soon be able to thank all of you from the Camp Nou.
“Dani is a great person and a great player. It was a massive gesture he made so I could survive, to be in the same boat as me, but I didn’t want to do that to him because I love him.  What we shared will last a lifetime, I’ll never forget it.”
Abidal went on to add that he doesn’t feel betrayed by the club, as many fans feel that Barcelona not offering him a new contract after all he’d been through was a berayal of trust, but Abidal insists that he has no hard feelings, wants to make it to the Champions League with Monaco and one day return to Barca.
“I know there’s been a lot of talk, but specificially they never told me anything concrete.  I ask the president, Zubi (sporting director Andoni Zubizaretta and Tito if I would continue or not.  I don’t feel betrayed because no one told me I would return.
“After playing football it’s very difficult to know what we’re going to do, but I’d like to return to Barca and work on the training pitch.
“I always though positively.  You know that in life you can’t always get what you want and I spent six spectacular years here.  Lifting the Champions League trophy at Wembley with the Captain’s armband was the best moment of my life.  In time, I’ll return to Barcelona, it’s very difficult to adapt to a new country, but for me [Catalunya] is a different country.”
Abidal concluded by discussing the work of new manager, Tata Martino and his former manager, Pep Guardiola.
“In the last Champions League match, I saw a game with a more touches.  I believe a lot in Barca’s style, the philosophy and it’s still winning.  I don’t think the team needs a revolution. They always need to keep their base.  Looking to improve when you already have the best system is difficult.
“Pep offered me a contract [at Bayern] when I didn’t have one and there’s a player I know in Ribery, but things aren’t always that easy.  My idea was to close the circle in Monaco, where it all began.”

No comments:

Post a Comment